Saturday, December 26, 2009

The cake

Final Product on the table with the balloons.
next time I will use better icing to pipe on the face.
For Davis' first birthday I wanted to have a really great cake. When we knew we were going to be in California for her birthday I started to price out cakes. I wanted a really cool Minnie mouse cake because the theme was mickey mouse clubhouse. I was more than shocked at how expensive it was to have a professional cake made even just to feed 10-15 people. So that was when I decided that I would have to channel my inner cake maker and do it myself. Over the last two months I have been gathering the right tools and things to do it. I practiced using fondant once even though my plan was to practice a lot more. So after my practice cake I just looked at the design and tried to picture what I
wanted and how I was going to do. In my head I had the exact plan and steps of how I was going to construct this cake. The night before I made all the cake, stacked them and frosted them. The next morning I got up early to finish it and start the hardest part. I was so surprised at how smoothly each step went. I took my time and made sure that I followed the steps that I had in my head for two months. It did take forever though, I was shocked how long it took me to make it start to finish. So I got all the fondant on and Justin with his artistic capabilities put the face on for me. I must it turned out great, and when Davis saw it she actually started to squeal because she could recognize that it was Minnie. I am so proud of what I was able to do with no training and very little practice. It just made the whole day and party so fun. And yes it was good red velvet cake with chocolate fudge filling.

1 comment:

Sharisa at Outstanding Occasions said...

Who's the BOMB?? You are!!! It's awesome :)