Sunday, November 15, 2009

Something New

I love watching all the shows about cake decorating and dream about doing what they do. I know I will probably never be that good but I really do enjoy cooking. There is something so therapeutic about baking from scratch.
So for Davis' Birthday we are doing a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse themed party. I really want her to have a great cake. After pricing out what it would cost to have a great cake I decided I would roll up my sleeves and try my hand at real cake decorating. I have been doing more and more and trying new things but I will going way outside myself by using fondant and different techniques for her cake. So I figured I had a month to practice as much as I could so that I get it right when her birthday comes.
I started today with just a single layer rainbow cake, marble fondant with a bow and dots. Before putting the bow and dots on I tried a technique I saw on the cake boss. He used steam to make it shiny and sticky so it was easy to put things on. So just used the steam setting on our iron and it worked great. I found great recipes for everything and I feel like it turned out okay. My next step is doing a layered cake.

Very First Fondant covered cake, and the finished product.

Inside of cake MMM. That was the best buttercream frosting I have ever had.



This is what I am hoping to make Davis. Hers wont be this tall but I am doing a three layer red velvet cake with chocolate fudge filling. I have a pretty good game plan of how I am going to pull off the fondant and decorating. I am relying on Justin and his artistic ability to draw my Minnie mouse template. I am confidant that in a month I will be able to do this. (at least that is what I am telling myself.) I am excited to see what I can learn and maybe add a new hobby or talent to my repertoire.


8 comments:

Cory and Katie Ledesma said...

Wow! Way to go Shannon! So adventurous. I love it. Can't wait to see what Davis' cake looks like. Good luck! :)

Pete&Laurie said...

That's so cool! I usually just make funny cakes. I made Grampa a kitty litter cake one year, complete with cat pan, tootsie rolls, "kitty litter" cake, and a pooper scooper to serve. It was so funny! I also like going to the toy section at stores and finding funny things to put on Pete's birthday cakes. Finding out the theme of the cake is pretty much Pete's favorite part of his birthday. Last year's "When Aliens Attack" cake was awesome! I've never been ambitious enough to try fondant, though. You are brave! That psychedelic cake looks amazing, too!

Megan said...

That looks great Shannon. Did I ever tell you that my really good friend Aimee is a chief and she specializes in wedding cakes. We should have a play date where she can answer questions and show us how to do everything. :)

Heather and Spencer said...

Don't you just love using fondant!?!? It is so fun...like adult playdough! Your cake looks great and I cant wait to see how the final cake turns out! GOod Luck!

Heather and Spencer said...

Almost forgot, what type of fondant are you using? I use a recipe for marshmallow fondant and it is more forgiving that the regular kind. (I think it tastes better too)!

McLerran Family said...

I'm impressed! They look awesome!

Heather and Spencer said...

Doesn't the marshmallow fondant taste so much better than the other stuff?!?! I will ask my sis-in -law about how she colored it (I cant take credit for that one, she made it), if she has any suggestions, I will let you know. Definitely give me a call when you are out here...we will be staying here for Christmas, so we would love to come!

Heather and Spencer said...

Okay, I talked with my sis in law about how she colors her fondant....she says she has never had any problems like you mentioned to me. But, here is how she does it. She makes the marshmallow fondant like the directions say. She leaves hers white, wraps it up and refrigerates it over night. The next day sh e colors it using the paste/gel food coloring, not the drops. Hope this helps!