Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Harry Potter in the classroom

Teaching children with autism is very exciting, there is never a dull moment. Today I was working on reading with one of the students in the class. This particular boy has a very vivid imagination. This week he thinks that he is harry potter, he comes to class everyday and draws a scar one his forehead, I make him glasses out of paper, and he carries a wand all day. Anyway, the only way to get him to work is to somehow incorporate harry potter into the lesson. So today I went to the library and found a harry potter book for him to read. We sit down and he starts to read and as i am taking data I realize that he is reading in the first person. I stop him and ask why... he looks at me with this bewildered look on his face, then looks down at the book and continues this for a few minutes. He then looks me in the eyes and says, " because this book is about me Mrs. Shannon duh, see the scar I am harry potter!" I apologise for the mistake and continue taking data. I love my job.

No comments: