Tuesday, November 13, 2007

I am getting the hang of this.


I wanted to give a more thorough update on what we are doing here in Utah. Justin is in still in school... there is light at the end of the tunnel; he will be graduating next year. He is also helping coach the BYU men's volleyball team. We just got done got done with club volleyball tryouts and they were very successful. Since Justin isn't one for bragging and i am, I will say he is the best coach/person i have ever met. He cares so much about honesty and what is better for other people it gives me hope for the world. I am working as a teachers aid in an elementary school. It is a class of children with autism. I am also awaiting the day when I can return to being a professional student. Oh by the way that is not really our cat playing volleyball, but if he did this is what he would look like. (hehe)

As far as my new job is concerned I feel myself becoming a better person everyday I walk into the classroom. People, it seems are so afraid when they here autism and I was one of them. I have to say though these kids are the sweetest and most innocent I have ever met. Everyday they teach me what the true meaning of patience really is. I have learned that it is not just enduring, or riding something out, but taking the time to understand then resolve. It is so awesome as well when you see them win the little battles. As cliche as this sounds I feel that I was blessed with this opportunity because I am supposed to learn from these children not the other way around. One of the best lessons I have learned so far is that I do have the skills to be a mother. I have never been confident in my maternal instincts, but since working with these kids I have learned that do have some after all. I am also learning other great things about how be a good parent. Now the daunting idea of someday having kids of my own doesn't send me into an anxiety attack. To sum it up I feel that since I cannot be in "school" I need to continue to look for opportunities like these to learn new things. I just have to remember to be proactive about it.

4 comments:

Dick&Erica said...

Learning patience before you have kids is awesome. Ella tests mine every day. That it was I pray for every night...to be patient and kind to my family.

Anonymous said...

you're gonna be a great mom, i have every confidence in you. let's just not talk about ME, k? hahaha i'm terrified... i don't have anything awesome to teach me patience except ben... lord knows he tests it ;)

oh, and tag, you're it! :)

Miriam Herm said...

I've seen you with kids. You're better with them than I am and I have one! But I understand your fear. I thinkit's normal. I hid in the bathroom and bawled hysterically when I pregnant with Ava because I was afraid of being a mom. and I think things are going well!

Dick&Erica said...

I just re-read my comment...do I know how to spell?

It was supposed to say "that is what I pray for every night". I swear I'm not a bumbling idiot.